Minutes January 2012
KIRKBY STEPHEN TOWN FORUM
Minutes of the Meeting held on Monday 9 January 2012
Present: Mike Walker, Ann Sandell, Shiela Haughey, Raynor Shaw, David Rayner, Libby Bateman, Joan Johnstone, Roma Vincent, Kirsty McEwan, Adam Tracey, Ann Craddock, Tim Craddock
1. Appointment of Chairman:
Shiela Haughey agreed to take the Chair for this meeting.
2. Apologies for absence:
Debbie Hylton, Glenys Lumley, Jacqui Scarr, Tina Galloway, Mike Sunderland, Jackie Semple
3. Minutes of the meeting on 14 November 2011:
These were accepted as a true record.
4. Matters arising (not otherwise included in the agenda):
a. The evaluation of disabled facilities was not included in the agenda and would be discussed at the next meeting. Ann Sandell asked if someone from the Town Council would be prepared to help. Action: Mike Walker
b. Christmas Lights. The general view of the 2011 Christmas Lights was very favourable. Thanks were expressed to Jeanette Cooper, and the team involved in putting up the lights. Joan Johnstone also thanked Shiela Haughey and Mike Walker for their efforts. There were some problems experienced due to adverse weather conditions and these will be followed up with a meeting in the next few weeks.
c. The Santa event at Old Croft House had been successful.
d. Adam Hoyle provided a skip for disposal of Christmas trees and thanks have been sent to him from the Forum.
5. Treasurer’s Report: Joan Johnstone informed the meeting that the Christmas activities had more or less broken even. No subsidy had been paid to the players for the pantomime, and it was agreed that we wait until the end of the financial year before we decide whether to support this financially.
£2000 has been received from the Cumbria Community Foundation for training associated with the TIC and this is ring-fenced.
There is still over £800 in the Charter Fund which the meeting agreed might be used for Jubilee celebrations in 2012.
6. Shop Advertising signs:
EDC refused the initial planning application for these signs, and a re-application has been made, as indications suggested that it might be treated favourably. Consultation on the resubmitted plans closes on 9 January but will be extended as the Town Council will discuss it on 10 January.
Shiela Haughey showed samples of two types of bunting in nylon and PVC. Assuming a need for around 800 metres, the cost would be ca. £650 plus VAT. It was thought that if the bunting was to be used across the road, then catenary wire would be required at an additional expense. The area to be dressed with bunting would be dependent on where the major activities are taking place for the Jubilee. Flags were also available at £7 each excluding pole. Joan Johnstone and Shiela Haughey agreed to investigate the options. Action: Joan Johnstone / Shiela Haughey
8. Queen’s Diamond Jubilee 2012:
In the absence of Wendy Wearmouth little discussion was possible. Mike Walker was asked to contact Wendy to establish her plans and report back to the Forum. A special meeting was proposed for 27 February to discuss proposals.
Action: Mike Walker
9. Collaboration with other in shaping local economic policy:
The Forum is supporting an Upper Eden Future conference on 19 January exploring the influence that small businesses can have in shaping the future of our region, using the proposed Lakes to Dales national park extension as a vehicle. Businesses are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity.
The representation of businesses at Forum meetings is patchy and it was agreed to consider this at the next meeting, in an attempt to improve the firm’s representation of businesses in the town.
10. Olympic Torch Relay:
Anne Craddock is a local leader for the Olympic Torch event. Brough Parish Council and EDC are coordinating activities around the 4minutes in Brough. Ideas were explored especially local screening of the event on a big-screen, and coaches to Brough for residents to take part. It was felt that schools may wish to use the event as culmination of curriculum activity. The Forum will not propose any specific activity, but is willing to support others in this event.
11. Electric Bike Network:
Augill Castle and the King’s Head have expressed a wish to consider being charging stations for an electric bike network. If this was extended to include Kirkby Stephen West station, and the TIC it could be a useful network. Appleby have money to progress a similar scheme at the moment and the Forum will monitor their experience. It was agreed that it was not a project for 2012, but would be sensible to link with the various cycle-ways being considered in Ravenstonedale and between Brough and Kirkby Stephen.
12. Eden Youth Work Partnership:
Kirsty McEwan told the Forum about the work of the Eden Youth Work Partnership with young people, aiming to providing guidance for young people to achieve their true potential. Whilst primarily a youth club, the group develops life skills and leadership potential of young people, and is also assisting development of marketing skills for those interested in setting up their own businesses. The EYWP wants to develop links with the business community in the area. The Forum agreed to pass on any messages and requests to the Forum circulation list.
13. TIC Progress:
EDC has made the decision to close the TIC at the end of March 2012 in favour of it being taken over by local groups. Work is underway to secure funding for conversion of the upstairs premises to accommodation providing a source of income to support the business. The situation will be publicised once we are confident that everything is in place.
Future Forum meetings will have to be in a different venue, and Pubs, the Club, Church House, or village halls were considered. Action: Mike Walker
14. Insurance issues – Notification of Events:
Ann Sandell notified the Forum of an Art Exhibition planned for Easter 2012. It was noted that as this had never been discussed at a Forum meeting it was not really a Forum event which could be covered by the AMT insurance. The feeling of the meeting was that any events to be covered by the Forum insurance should be events led by the Forum and minuted as such.
15. Any Other Business:
a. Libby Bateman informed the Forum that Much Ado About Nothing will be performed at Brough Castle on 22 August 2012
b. A consultation has begun about Household Waste handling in Cumbria which proposes closure of the Waste Disposal Site in Kirkby Stephen. It was agreed that the Forum will respond, citing the recent extension of hours to meet demand, the building projects planned for Kirkby Stephen, and questioning the statistics which may have been averaged over 7 days rather than the 4 days the tip is open. Action: Mike Walker
c. Action for Market Towns is organising a Town of the Week competition. It was agreed that the Forum will consider an entry once the future of the TIC is resolved.
d. Although Ann Sandell was willing to attend an AMT meeting on Localism and Neighbourhood planning in York, it was thought that Upper Eden was ahead of the game in this area and her attendance was unnecessary.
e. AMT are organising a workshop in Kirkby Stephen on “Hidden Britain” and we have been asked if we would pay for a venue. The Forum agreed, and the Lakeland Training Venue, Masonic hall, School or Village Halls were suggested. Action: Ann Sandell
f. Walkers are Welcome are hosting a face to face meeting in April. The Forum agreed to pay for use of the Local Links as a venue.
g. The position of Eden District Council as a member of the Forum was discussed, as no representative has been to meetings since Andrea Hines left. It was agreed that the secretary would explore the position with EDC as our constitution may need amendment, and future funding may be at risk.
Action: Mike Walker
h. Tourist Information Officers from across Cumbria will be visiting Tebay and Orton on Wednesday 7th March to gain information to pass on to visiting tourists. A preliminary meeting is to be held on 10 January and the Forum circulation list has been sent details of this, albeit at the last minute.
16. Date of next meeting:
It was agreed that the next meeting will be held on Monday 27 February 2012 at 1900 in a venue to be arranged. This will be a special meeting to discuss the Diamond Jubilee events and the Art exhibition.
The next normal meeting will be held on 26 March 2012 at a venue to be arranged.