Minutes March 2009
KIRKBY STEPHEN TOWN FORUM
Minutes Of the Meeting held on Monday 9 March 2009
Present: Jacqui Semple, Mike Walker, Ann Sandell, Joan Johnstone, Derek Thompson, Libby Bateman, John Thompson, Jacqui Scarr, Andrea Hines, Charles Hurst, Liz Hall, Abbie Pepper, Nina Smart
1. Chairman’s welcome.
Jacqui welcomed all participants.
2. Apologies for absence:
Father Chappell, Debbie Hylton, Glenys Lumley, Mike Sunderland, Linda Walker
3. Minutes of the meeting on 9 February 2009: The apologies of Andrea Hines had been omitted from the minutes when first circulated. This was rectified in the copy sent out to inform the current meeting. The corrected version was accepted as a true record of the meeting.
4. Matters Arising (not otherwise included in the agenda):
Information on the market stalls has been provided to Peter Foskett for consideration of a suitable trolley for their transport. Detailed measurements were not available as the lock to the old school yard is jammed. Capita, who look after the Old School building for the County Council, have said that they would prefer not to repair the lock on the gate. Access to the sheds at the rear can be gained via the building. If it's easier, the stalls may be stored in the main building for the time being. However, this arrangement needs to be viewed as a short term one, and it has been suggested that an alternative storage facility needs to be sought.
It was considered that we might attempt to change the lock ourselves. However, subsequent to the meeting we were advised that this would cause difficulties with Capita. Moving the stalls through the building would be no easier and likely to cause damage. Capita would be pressed to enable us to gain access, as now, through the yard. Various ideas were raised about alternative storage and enquiries would be made regarding various buildings in Stoneshot and Walton’s Yard.
Action: Joan Johnstone / Jacqui Scarr
The invoice for rehearsal time at the Masonic Hall still needs to be sent to the “More Than a Handful” players. Action: Joan Johnstone
A small group has made a proposal for new Christmas lights, and Mike demonstrated the LED bulbs being considered in comparison with a standard bulb. Forum members believed that the LED bulbs would be acceptable. The replacements would be phased in, with initial replacement of existing bulbs, together with the Christmas Tree lights. Extensions to Silver Street and the traffic lights would be included as funds allow. It was suggested that we might apply to the Neighbourhood Forum for funding, but most would have to be raised locally. Sponsorship of each bulb would be considered together with other fund arising activities. Action: Mike Walker
Costs for a Tapas evening would be around £25 per head with a need for a minimum of 40 people. It was felt that this cost would be inappropriate for the target of advertising the work of the Forum. Further discussion was held later in the meeting.
5. Treasurer’s Report:
There has been no change in the situation outlined at the last meeting. The treasurer asked Forum members to ensure expenses were submitted by the end of March so that accounts could be audited for the AGM in May.
6. Calor Village of the Year®:
Mike outlined his views that we need to concentrate on the special things we have in Kirkby Stephen, rather than highlighting every activity likely to be similar to other villages in the competition.
Mike had prepared a basic programme for the judging meeting, and has approached possible contributors asking them to be involved. The plan includes an overview, formal presentations, displays, and the possibility of visits to the Eastside Crew and the Grammar School. Transfer times would eat into the available time for judging and the value of taking this time was discussed. It was also felt that any walk about town would require a working group to tidy up the route beforehand. It was agreed to ask Alan Simpson if he could do a little extra. Action: Joan Johnstone
It was agreed that the Community Office should still be used as the base for the judging, as the computers would be available. Mike proposed a number of electronic display methods, which would minimise the number of display boards required. A small sub-group would meet to firm up the programme.
Action: Mike Walker, Joan Johnstone, Ann Sandell
An invitation has also been received to enter the Cumbria Calor Village of the Year® 2009 competition. It was agreed that with emphasis on the National competition it would be sensible to resist the temptation to enter this competition.
7. Upper Eden Community Plan actions:
a. Youth Forum:
One item allocated to the Town Forum in the Community Plan was to consider the formation of a Youth Forum. Libby Bateman, the project officer listened to our thoughts on this, and ideas were suggested as to how such a forum might be formed and what it might achieve. There were concerns expressed about how to stimulate interest, as only 2 young people had joined this Forum meeting. Libby suggested that communication methodology might need to be better matched to the interests of young people and agreed to set up a Facebook Forum to sound out ideas on what young people wanted in Kirkby Stephen. Action: Libby Bateman, Abbie Pepper, Nina Smart
b. Other Forum activities:
The Forum has also been suggested as partners in 4 other activities in the Community Plan. Libby updated the meeting on progress on each:
Walk / Bike / Shop Started in 2008 with mixed success - needs to be encouraged.
Overseas Markets Low priority
Good Practice Seminars Revitalising Retail organised – other training needs to be identified by businesses.
Arts Centre / Association Libby is initially identifying what is happening already. This is low priority until the current position is fully understood.
8. Stobars Hall – involvement with the Community
Euan Bell was not present at the meeting. There were some comments about e-mail communication issues, and Mike would try to sort this out. The Forum would be pleased to hear Euan’s views at a future meeting.
Action: Mike Walker
9. Forum Social Event:
Various ideas and locations were considered for a social event. It was felt that costs would have to be low to attract the largest number of people. Eventually it was agreed that Libby would follow up the idea of a Community Open Day, which might be supported by the Neighbourhood Forum. A small sub-group was set up of Libby, Charles, and Liz to progress this. One idea was to consider asking the Rugby Club if we could hold an event on the Sunday following their gala, as marquees would already be in place.
Action: Libby Bateman, Charles Hurst, Liz Hall
10. Kirkby Stephen Vision:
A meeting had been held recently to consider a long-term vision for Kirkby Stephen. The driver for this was the likelihood of monies being available after the 2012 Olympic Games for major projects elsewhere in UK. Consideration needs to be given now to identify opportunities. There are a lot of activities underway in Kirkby Stephen, with little coordination between them. The meeting will be reported and an action plan developed. It was agreed that the Forum should discuss this as a major item at the next meeting and that Paul Walker, the new Town Centres Manager invited to the meeting. Action: Mike Walker
11. Any other business:
a. Glenys Lumley had made a statement on the TIC as follows:
“There are many rumours flying about regarding the TIC. I want to reassure everyone that I am doing the best I possibly can to secure the longer-term viability of the TIC. There was a proposal to close it for the winter months, which I was against. The town is still busy with visitors in the winter and we would lose our experienced and valued staff, who could not be expected to wait for the Summer for work. We have been considering our options, which I will take to the Executive tomorrow. There is no doubt that savings have to be made by EDC in all areas, we have to be prudent and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made about services but please be assured that I am doing the best I possibly can for Kirkby Stephen.”
Andrea added that due to long-term sickness, the start of summer opening hours would be delayed until late March.
b. Accommodation providers’ newsletters will wait until the database being prepared for the Walkers are Welcome accreditation is complete. Possible content could include Forum activities, Green Tourism initiatives, opportunities to advertise, and initially a thank you for assistance with the Walkers are Welcome initiative.
c. The Appleby Chamber of Trade and Community Association have formally endorsed a position statement about the progress towards an Upper Eden Alliance. Mike tabled copies of this statement requesting formal endorsement by the Forum. The meeting agreed that this should be a formal agenda item, and it will be added to the agenda of the next meeting. Action: Mike Walker
d. In association with photographs taken at the Community Cinema a photographic consent form has been drafted for children and vulnerable adults. It was accepted that it would be used if and when photos were to be used in the public domain, rather than trying to get permissions during the activities.
e. Eden Local Heroes Awards. Mike believed that we should take the opportunity of nominating people for these awards. A number of names were suggested and Mike will work up the nominations on behalf of the Forum. It was noted that nominees have to give their permission to be nominated and Mike will ensure that this is the case. Action: Mike Walker
12. Date of Next Meeting:
The next meeting will be the Annual General Meeting and officers would be up for election. Jacqui Semple advised the Forum that she would stand down as Chairman.
Nominations for Chairman, Treasurer, Secretary and Publicity Officer should be sent to the secretary before the meeting. Jacqui agreed to write a Chairman’s report for the AGM
The next meeting, the Annual General Meeting, will be held on 11 May 2009 at 1900.