Minutes May 2011
KIRKBY STEPHEN TOWN FORUM
Minutes of the Meeting held on Monday 9 May 2011
Present: Mike Walker, Ann Sandell, Joan Johnstone, Derek Thompson, Jacqui Scarr, Andrea Hines, Libby Bateman, Raynor Shaw, Debbie Hylton, Glenys Lumley, Liz Hall, Peter Foskett
1. Appointment of Chairman:
Joan Johnstone agreed to take the Chair for this meeting.
2. Apologies for absence:
Jacqui Semple, Leanne Harbage Shiela Haughey, Lynn Hopwood, Linda Walker, Tina Galloway
3. Minutes of the meeting on 7 March 2011:
The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted as a true record.
4. Matters arising (not otherwise included in the agenda):
a. It was agreed that the revised town map should now proceed now the relocated Community Office is about to open.
b. The insurance payment direct debit from AMT has been transferred to the Forum account, although we need to ensure that the Subscription payments are still made from the Town Council account.
c. An invoice had been sent to EDC for grant funding and £500 has been received. Andrea Hines was thanked for arranging this.
d. The donation to the Silver Band will be progressed. Action: Joan Johnstone
e. A number of nominations for Eden Local Heroes Awards were submitted by the Forum. Cumbria Classic Coaches were again short-listed and again came second to another business. However, Joan Johnstone was the winner of the Chairman’s Award, having been nominated by others, and the Forum congratulated her on the achievement.
f. The Town Guide idea has changed into a Geology Information booklet, and will be progressed by the “Walkers are Welcome” group.
5. Report on Forum Activities in 2010-2011
Mike Walker outlined the activities during the past year as follows:
Involvement in the future of the TIC
Organised Santa Event – “Lion, Witch, Wardrobe & Santa”
Involvement in Christmas Lights
Organised Christmas switch-on & Pantomime
Nominations for Local Heroes Awards
Researched and put together Poetry Path Audio Trail
Planned Shop advertising signs
Issued “What to do in Kirkby Stephen”
Updated Town Trail Leaflets
Organised the Podgill Poems Trail
Organised two Kirkby Stephen Heritage Walks
Involvement in BBC programme “Secret Britain”
Offered KS as venue for AMT Convention for 2012
Revised Town Map
6. Treasurer’s Report:
Joan Johnstone presented the financial report and balance sheet to the Forum. It was noted that the Calor Prize monies, earmarked for Christmas lights would be spent during 2011, and the business prize spent on shop advertising boards. The meeting thanked Joan Johnstone for her hard work looking after the accounts, and to Joyce Forster for auditing them.
7. Election of Officers:
The Forum agreed that having a Chairman by rotation had worked reasonably well. Mike Walker suggested that he would be willing to stand as Chairman, but in the absence of volunteers to take over as Secretary, the Forum asked him to continue in this position. In the absence of further nominations the officers were re-elected as follows:
Secretary: Mike Walker Proposed by Debbie Hylton
Seconded by Derek Thompson
Publicity Officer Ann Sandell Proposed by Mike Walker
Seconded by Glenys Lumley
Treasurer Joan Johnstone Proposed by Mike Walker
Seconded by Glenys Lumley
Each officer expressed a willingness to stand for one further year. The Forum needs to address involving new blood at the next AGM.
8. Calor Village of the Year competition – progress on spend:
The Forum was informed that the Calor prize monies had been so far allocated as follows:
Calor Northern Village of the Year® prizes controlled by the Town Forum (£3000):
£2000 allocated for Christmas Lights
£500 allocated for Shop Advertising Signs
Calor England Village of the Year® prize controlled by the Town Council (£7000):
£2000 allocated for Stone Seats designed by students of KSGS
£1500 allocated for Poetry Path Audio Trail
£150 allocated for sign welcoming C2C walkers to town
£75 allocated for reprinting town maps
9. Audio Trails – progress on Poetry Path & suggestions for others:
Mike reported that the Calor Committee had approved expenditure on equipment for the Audio Trails, and that an order has been placed. Files have been received for evaluation and we expect the hardware to be available fairly soon. Downloads from web-sites will also be considered as the Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria Tourism and Walkers are Welcome web-sites have already expressed a wish to include these downloads. Mike will ensure that the appropriate formats are available.
Action: Mike Walker
The Cumberland & Westmorland Herald wish to include reference to this project in their “Spotlight on Kirkby Stephen” feature and it was agreed to ask them to emphasise that it has been carried out by volunteers, demonstrating Big Society in action. Action: Mike Walker
Further launch publicity and Point of Use posters will be needed once the equipment is delivered and installed. Initially it is expected that the hub will be located in the TIC.
A guide to the Church, and also the Stainmore railway are also being explored.
10. Shop Advertising Boards - progress:
Peter Foskett displayed his designs for metal panels with replaceable business panels. The initial idea of using the bus shelters for mounting has proved to be impossible as fixing points are no available. Instead Peter suggests using the existing lighting column near the florist’s, and the finger post near the dentist’s. This would require relocation of the bus timetable from the lighting column to the bus shelter, as in the shelter outside the Social club, and appropriate parts will need to be obtained to allow this change.
Planning permission will be required, and this will be carried out by the Town Council, with the application prepared by Peter Foskett.
11. Disabled facilities in Kirkby Stephen:
Walkers are Welcome have developed local routes for the disabled, and the Northern Viaducts Trust walk is accessible for wheelchairs. Facilities in town are not always good and disabled access poorly advertised. It was agreed that an assessment of disabled facilities should be carried out in order to encourage improvement. Access and diversity advice is available from Eden District Council and Andrea Hines agreed to find out for us. Action: Andrea Hines
12. August Event in Market Square:
With extensive plans for the Stainmore Railway celebration taking people away from the Town Centre, the Forum had been asked whether an event in the Market Square might help local businesses. It was pointed out that on the Saturday the square will be in use as a checkpoint for a cycle rally, and a market and car-boot sale would be held on Bank Holiday Monday. In addition the Westmorland Dancers would be present for some of the weekend, dancing in the town centre. With the Flower Festival being held the same weekend, and buses in use to convey visitors from car parking in town to the Kirkby Stephen East Station, it was felt that there would be plenty to attract visitor to town centre businesses. However, it was agreed to consider the possibility of offering discount vouchers to visitors if business owners agreed. Glenys Lumley and Ann Sandell would raise this with the Stainmore Railway Company and if they are agreeable to this would work with Libby to put something in place.
Action: Glenys Lumley/Ann Sandell
13. Action for Market Towns Convention Venue for 2012:
Kirkby Stephen has declared an interest in hosting the Action for Market Towns convention in 2012. The Grammar School has been advised that we might consider it as the major meeting venue, and accommodation providers have been alerted in the “Walkers are Welcome” newsletter. Quantification of accommodation available within a 10 mile radius is under way. Action: Ann Sandell
Further details about possible dates are being explored with AMT.
Action: Mike Walker
14. Discuss ideas for Upper Eden Museum:
Raynor Shaw expressed his view that the Temperance Hall would provide a superb venue for a local Museum, if Heritage funding was available for purchase. The Forum was aware that a private option was also being considered. Libby pointed out that there may be other ways of maximising heritage knowledge without being based in a building, and asked the Forum to think about a Virtual Museum, using technology as planned for the Poetry Path.
The Forum will consider the position and agreed that any progress should be cooperative rather than competitive.
15. Discuss suggestion to lobby for low tax diesel for Commercial Vehicle Rally:
The Easter Commercial Vehicle Rally is beneficial for the towns of Kirkby Stephen and Brough, bringing business to kick off the season. Fuel costs for the buses, running between the towns, are substantial, and Raynor Shaw suggested that the Forum might support lobbying for a 'fuel duty rebate' for such uses. It was agreed that the Forum would support the ECVG if it wished to pursue such an opportunity.
Action: Mike Walker/ Raynor Shaw
16. Insurance – Notification of Events:
No activities are planned which require notifications to the insurer.
Libby Bateman asked about event insurance, and was encouraged to enquire of AMT about UECP’s possible membership. Mike agreed to provide contact details.
Action: Mike Walker
17. Any Other Business: There was no other business.
18. Date of next meeting:
It was agreed that the next meeting would be held on Monday 18 July 2011 at 1900 in the room above the TIC.