Minutes May 2008
KIRKBY STEPHEN TOWN FORUM
Present: Jacqui Semple, Mike Walker, Ann Sandell, Derek Thompson, Debbie Hylton, Andrea Hines, Charles Hurst, Alex Chalmers, John Thompson, Jackie Scarr, Tom Woof
1. Apologies for absence:
3. Matters Arising (not otherwise included in the agenda):
No action has yet been taken on obtaining a grant for flags. The action remains.
The Town Council was approached to pay the annual membership of Action for Market Towns, and agreed.
The formal Annual Report is now in a position to be written as the end of year accounts are available. Action: Mike
The Forum had a stall with the Kirkby Stephen in Bloom group at the Easter Commercial Vehicle Rally. There was modest interest in our activities.
Appleby Archeology had been contacted regarding the tunnels with some interest expressed, but limited assistance is available.
The Jemima Puddleduck Egg Hunt had included Kirkby Stephen, with the winner driving from Carlisle to find an egg for his daughter.
Progress with the reprinted Kirkby Stephen leaflet is not known. Andrea Hines agreed to enquire of Sally Hemsley at EDC for information.
The Cumbria Tourism funded refurbishment of hotels is now closed, although opportunities were available in Kirkby Stephen. Better communication of such opportunities was discussed later in the meeting.
Mike’s question on public toilets and TICs was not raised at the Tourism Question Time chaired by Eric Robson, on 12 March, either because of previous selection by the panel, or too many questions in total.
4. Treasurer’s Report:
5. Upper Eden Community Plan:
An implementation group will begin work in June 2008, and one of the first steps is expected to be the appointment of a Project Officer, funded from a £2 precept on each household. Most parishes have expressed support for this. One of the key actions relates to housing strategy, and the Community Plan supports a rural allocation policy allowing for self-build affordable housing in limited amounts in each parish.
The Town Forum noted that it was proposed as a partner in certain of the actions and would review these at the following meeting.
6. Upper Eden Alliance progress:
It was agreed that we should have a formal procedure and criteria for trustees, and Mike will pursue this with Ann. Action: Ann & Mike
7. Heritage Open Days:
We have agreed to take part in the Heritage Open days planned for 11-14 September 2008, and need to decide what activities to plan for Kirkby Stephen at that time. Ideas to the secretary please. Action: All Forum Members
Townscape Heritage Grants are available of amounts between £500,000 and £2million for regeneration of the historic environment in UK towns and cities. Development grants of up to £50,000 are available to meet the cost of a major submission. The deadline for application is 30 November 2008. Forum Members were asked to consider whether there were any opportunities within Kirkby Stephen for such an initiative.
8. Where to Eat in Kirkby Stephen:
9. Awards for All funding:
New market stalls – enquiries would be made to Made in Cumbria and Orton Farmers’ Market regarding suppliers of their stalls. Action: Mike
Andrea Hines said that she may be able to supply a video projector on loan.
Brown Tourism signs will be put to the Neighbourhood Forum, although there is a view that Highways will raise objections. Action: Ann
Funding for a feasibility study on the tunnels, information boards, and to promote Jubilee Park were also supported, and will be considered later in the year.
Those businesses represented at the Forum meeting questioned whether the existing CCTV cameras were useful. The view was expressed that faces could only be recognised if known locally, and miscreants from outside the town were rarely caught by use of the cameras. It was also understood that the costs of digital cameras was high, and that investment in a system with low credibility would be wasteful.
11. Further ideas for 2008:
b. Film Locations. Ann has provided a list and photographs of possible film locations to an agency for inclusion in their web-site. We wait and see whether anything comes out of this.
c. Storage. The Town Forum has limited storage for costumes, pamphlets and the market stalls, and is interested to hear of any opportunities, which might be available. Cupboards or lockers might be located within the TIC room, and Andrea agreed to establish of any spare furniture is available from the EDC store at Kirkby Thore.
d. Newsletter for accommodation providers. Ann suggested that we compiled an e-mail newsletter to advise hotels, guest-houses, bed & breakfasts and self-catering providers of issues and opportunities relevant to them. Thoughts were that it might include information on the Tourism Conservation Partnership, the TIC advertising policy, offers from suppliers, and funding possibilities. It was pointed out that Eden Tourism already have such a newsletter and are always looking for contributions. It was also felt that the Town Forum served this purpose, although many businesses were still not on the circulation list in spite of a major campaign in Spring 2007.
It was agreed to list existing providers, and canvas for their views.
It was also agreed to further promote the Town Forum through a social evening during September or October to be discussed at the next meeting.
e. Calor Cumbria Village of the Year Competition. We have been advised of this competition regarding the People, Environment, Business and Communication aspects of Rural Life. It was agreed that we should make an entry, although the entry date is incorrect and needs clarification. Mike will put together the entry.
b. Cumbria Science Festival. Alex Birtles has passed on information about the Cumbria Science Festival and felt that we might use our connection with Faraday to become involved in future activities. The Forum noted that many of our businesses were science based, and the proposed skate park was designed based on scientific principles. It was agreed that we should follow up the possibility of involvement.
c. The Action for Market Towns annual conference for 2008 will be held in Skipton on 1st and 2nd October. There was support for representation from the Forum and the Town Council to this meeting. Preliminary estimates for “Early Bird” Bookings are £175 for the two days including accommodation, and £95 excluding accommodation. Further details will be available late May/ June. Attendance will be discussed at the July Town Forum meeting. Mike will write to the Parish Clerk advising her of our proposal.
d. Community Spirit Cumbria. The Forum has been advised of this event to be held at Rydal on 7 July.
e. Education on the Hoof – Appleby Horse Fair. The Forum has been advised of a series of talks on Gypsy and Traveller Culture to be held during the Appleby Horse Fair in the Supper Rooms. Details are available from Mike.
f. Cumbria CVS. The Forum has joined Cumbria CVS for the period 2008-2011.
g. Crosby Ravensworth food suppliers. A market will be held in town on 4 July for the visitors from Crosby Ravensworth, and any other traders who wish to take part. The market stalls will be available to use.
h. Kirkby Stephen in Bloom. No dates for judging have yet been set. Businesses are encouraged to take part with hanging baskets and pots, and weeding and sweeping of their own premises. Dates will be publicised widely when known.
i. A group from Westgarth have asked the Forum for financial assistance for hanging baskets, which will be planted by the youth of the estate. Although members of the Forum fully support the initiative, it was felt that the money available in our funds for planters should be reserved for more permanent installations. Mike will raise the issue with the Britain in Bloom group, and write to Sarah Bissen outlining our position.
j. Debbie Hylton advised the Forum that there is significant lorry damage to the grass verge opposite the entrance to Redmayne Road near the Co-op. Mike will raise this with the Britain in Bloom group.
l. Ann Sandell advised the Forum that she is producing a number of 4 mile walk leaflets for sale in the TIC for around 10-20 pence. These will provide walks of an intermediate length between the Poetry Path, and Nine Standards. She asked for any suggestions to be sent to her. Action: All
m. The Forum is asked to participate in various Healthcare initiatives. Neither Ann nor Mike felt it their area of expertise. It was suggested that Andy Sayer might be an appropriate Forum member to consider these. Mike agreed to contact her.
13. Date of Next Meeting: The Forum confirmed that the next meeting of the Kirkby Stephen Town Forum would be held on Monday 14 July 2008, in the room above the TIC unless advised otherwise because of access problems.
|< Prev||Next >|