Minutes May 2012
KIRKBY STEPHEN TOWN FORUM
Minutes of the Meeting held on Monday 14 May 2012
Present: Mike Walker, Joan Johnstone, Glenys Lumley, Anne Cradock, Tim Cradock, Raynor Shaw, Sue Jones, Mike Thompson, Christine Wilson, Mary Wilson,
1. Appointment of Chairman:
Joan Johnstone agreed to take the Chair for this meeting.
2. Apologies for absence:
Debbie Hylton, Shiela Haughey, David Rayner, Charles Hurst, Liz Hall, Jackie Semple
3. Minutes of the meeting on 26 March 2012:
Ann Sandell had asked for an amendment to the minutes regarding the disabled facilities survey and had proposed a different form of words. The Forum considered that the original form of words was a balanced interpretation of the position and agreed that the minute should stand. The minutes were approved.
4. Matters arising (not otherwise included in the agenda):
• The secretary wrote to Peter Thornton regarding the changeover of skips at the HWRC and this had been input into the discussions with the contractor.
• Nominations for the Eden Local Heroes Awards were made and Wendy Wearmouth and the Stainmore Railway were short-listed, although were not successful.
• A letter of support has been sent for the Stainmore Railway projects
• The Visitor Centre is now operating 7 days per week with volunteers.
• No further action has been taken regarding the market.
• No action has been taken regarding the Poetry Path stones. It was suggested that light brushing may help legibility of the text.
5. Annual Report:
The secretary listed the following activities carried out by the Forum during the previous year:
Setting up the Poetry Path Audio Trail
Shop Advertising Boards
AMT Convention – considered offering Kirkby Stephen as a venue
AMT Marketing Meeting – 1 May 2012
New Town maps
Christmas Lights & Switch on
Shop incentive for Stainmore 150
Help for Britain in Bloom
Santa @ Croft House
Involvement in developing the Visitor Centre
Organising History Walks
Business Christmas Trees and Window Competition
Jubilee Flags and Bunting
Campaign to save Household Waste Recycling Centre
Hosted “Walkers are Welcome” meeting
Nominations for Eden Local Heroes Awards
Support for Stainmore Railway funding
This was felt to be a very creditable list of activities. Other organisations were arranging major activities, and the Forum was able to step back and assist rather than being involved directly.
6. Treasurer’s Report: Joan Johnstone distributed a balance sheet and financial report. (attached to the minutes). The Forum has £1066 in general funds and £2900 in ring-fenced funds for specific projects. It was agreed that the Forum should invoice EDC for core funding of £500 as in previous years. Action: Mike Walker
7. Election of Officers:
Although the appointment of a meeting Chairman had worked well for the past year or so, it was felt that the Forum was in need of leadership from an active, permanent Chairman. Mike Walker offered to either continue as secretary, provided that a permanent, active chairman was elected, or to serve as Chairman if another secretary could be found.
Joan Johnstone proposed Glenys Lumley as Chairman of the Forum and the meeting accepted this. Mike Walker and Joan Johnstone agreed to continue as Secretary and Treasurer, but noted that they would both wish to see replacement in these roles in 2013.
There were no proposals for the post of Publicity Officer following Ann’s resignation. A number of options were proposed and would be followed up before the next meeting.
It was questioned whether the Forum should consider greater involvement of young people and the possibility of getting a media / journalism student to cover the publicity would be explored.
8. Shop advertising signs – progress:
Debbie Hylton and Peter Foskett have drafted a letter explaining the proposed advertising signs and requesting orders for panels at £20 each. The Forum approved the letter and recommended that it was distributed to business as proposed.
Action: Debbie Hylton
9. Diamond Jubilee – Flags, Bunting, Time Capsule:
Around 20 Union Flags have been ordered by businesses. Shiela Haughey has found a cheaper supplier and refunds will be given once the total costs are known.
Bunting and catenary wire is now available, and a date needs to be set for erection.
The Upper Eden Rotary Club is arranging for a cairn and seat to be built on Kirkby Hill above the cricket ground. This will incorporate a time capsule, and organisations will be invited to provide information about their activities. It was suggested that the Forum might offer a copy of the Village of the Year submission, plus the revised town map.
10. Mary Portas Review Pilot Application:
There is no feedback from the joint application for funding for improvement of the High Streets made by Alston, Appleby and Kirkby Stephen.
11. Feedback on AMT Meeting in Kirkby Stephen:
Approximately 25 attended the meeting on Marketing your Town, held on 1 May, and the event was judged to be excellent. Very positive feedback was provided by the teams evaluate Kirkby Stephen and the results are attached to these minutes.
All towns appear to be suffering from similar problems and sharing ideas can help.
The Forum agreed to write to Ann Sandell thanking her for arranging this event.
Action: Mike Walker
12. Insurance issues – Notification of Events:
No events are planned requiring notification for insurance purposes.
13. Any Other Business:
• Upper Eden Events will be presenting an outdoor performance of Shakespeare’s “Much Ado About Nothing” at Brough Castle on 21 July 2012
• Shakespeare’s Globe will be performing Hamlet at Brougham Hall on 18/19 August
• Help with planting in town is requested for Friday 8 June at 10.30
• A request to feedback on Cumbria CVS has been received. It was suggested that this be forwarded to Ann Sandell.
Christine Wilson asked about anti-social behaviour in the cloisters, especially concerning banging of the litter bin against the wall of her property. A number of positive suggestions were made and Joan Johnstone agreed to take this up with the street cleaner, and at the next Town Council meeting.
14. Date of next meeting:
It was agreed that the next meeting will be held on Monday 16 July 2012 at 1900 in the room above the Visitor Centre, unless otherwise advised.
It was suggested that the agenda should include parking in the town centre, and thoughts on how to increase business involvement in the Forum.