Minutes November 2008
KIRKBY STEPHEN TOWN FORUM
Present: Jacqui Semple, Mike Walker, Linda Walker, Ann Sandell, Joan Johnstone, Derek Thompson, John Thompson, Jacqui Scarr, Debbie Hylton, Pat Godwin, Andrea Hines
1. Chairman’s welcome.
2. Apologies for absence:
4. Matters Arising (not otherwise included in the agenda):
No action has yet been taken on obtaining a grant for replacing the flags, and it will be included as part of other grant applications as appropriate. The action remains. Action: Mike & Joan
The revised Kirkby Stephen mini-guide is now being planned by EDC and a meeting with the Town Council, Town Forum and TIC is being planned regarding its content. The proposed meeting date clashes with a Neighbourhood Forum meeting, and the Town Clerk is trying to negotiate a revised date. Debbie and Ann were asked to represent the Town Forum, and Joan and Mike could be available if the meeting time was convenient.
The cheque from the Fat Lamb for the “Where to eat” update has been returned with a letter of explanation.
The Stainmore Railway picnic area has received the funding it requested.
Linda developed a flyer to advertise the Late Night Opening evening and these were distributed in around 800 copies of the Herald. The initiative was not entirely successful and it was believed that more work needs to be carried out for such a venture to be successful.
5. Treasurer’s Report:
The general fund stands at around £1200, but is temporarily boosted by Christmas Tree income which will be spent in the next month.
The Heritage Open Days funding from Cumbria was not as generous as expected, and there was a shortfall of £330, primarily due to hire of Classic Coaches for access to Mallerstang. It is understood that Jessica Goodfellow promised Appleby some funding towards the Open Days, but as they had no significant expenditure, Karen Greenwood asked for it to be given to the Kirkby Stephen Town Forum. The position of this potential income will be clarified. Action: Andrea
As we believe that the involvement of young people assists our entry, the Schools, the Duke of Edinburgh scheme and the Eastside Crew, will be invited to participate in the judging in March/April 2009.
Mike is also trying hard to include the piece by Abbie Pepper from the Cumbria competition, and it is most likely to be included in the Communications section as an example of ICT work from the Grammar School.
We also need to provide photos, and Mike asked for any photos showing residents of Kirkby Stephen participating in activities, to be submitted as soon as possible for consideration.
It was agreed that any judging should be centred on the Community Office as before, and details of how to mix presentations, displays and visits will be determined nearer the time of judging. Appropriate maps of how to find us will be submitted as requested.
The Chairman thanked Mike for the work he has put in to this competition entry.
The Town Council had suggested that the £200 prize money from Cumbria should be given to the Eastside Crew for equipment. The Town Forum supported this.
7. Review of Activities:
Heritage Open Days: Although this had been reviewed at the previous meeting, Ann Sandell has produced a written report, which is appended to these minutes. The weekend was generally successful, especially at St Mary’s Outhgill, but interest in Brough was limited, and further work may be needed to encourage support here for similar activities in future.
Charter Fair: A report on the St Luke’s Fair was written by Ann Sandell and is appended to these minutes. With the appalling weather, the Continental Market gave up at lunchtime, but during the morning, the exhibition in the King’s Arms Ballroom, and the Craft market at the Masonic Hall had a good atmosphere. Enthusiasm waned during the afternoon, unsurprising with the inclement weather.
It was agreed that the advertisement on the front page of the Messenger was a good idea, and it would be repeated for Christmas.
8. Community Cinema:
Tickets are available from the TIC, although it was accepted that with limited opening hours this was not entirely convenient. Sales through other retail outlets would be considered.
Jacqui Semple agreed to ask about the availability of the Silver Band and Ann is progressing provision of posters with the Grammar School. Prizes were agreed of £10, £5 and £5.
Shops would be encouraged to open late to provide a good atmosphere. Debbie and Mike agreed to discuss evening opening with the shops.
Mike sent out letters for Christmas trees and the window competition, but the response has been very poor at present. The shop visits will be used to stimulate further interest. Kevin Douglas, Chief Executive of Eden District Council, has kindly agreed to judge the window competition. In view of the inclement weather last year, John Popple has not been provided with specific dates for putting up the trees. Trophy holders have been advised that we will need the trophies returned on 24 November. Cerberus has printed winners’ certificates, and prizes need to be provided.
The Stainmore Railway Company will host Santa this year on 6th and 7th December between 10 am and 4 pm. Mulled wine, and sweets will be provided, and Cumbria Classic Coaches will provide transport from the town centre on the Saturday. It was noted that last year the Forum paid for a destination blind “Santa’s Grotto” and if this was used it may help advertise the event on the bus through town. In addition it was felt that primary schools and pre-schools in the area should be informed of the event.
New Year’s Eve. Nigel Stephenson will allow the use of the flat above the flower shop for the Big Ben display but it has no power at present. Arrangements will be made to provide an extension cable from the sockets above PF&K, via the front window. The EDC projector will be collected before 19 December, and returned during early January.
10. Action for Market Towns:
AMT have sent a survey for us to complete. Ann, Joan and Mike will look at this and Mike will send in a compiled version of individual responses.
11. Upper Eden Community Plan:
Mike pointed out that the other issues on the agenda were to act as a reminder that the Forum had been asked to get involved with them, but it was probably better to wait until the Project Officer had been appointed before trying to carry them forward. They would be raised again at a meeting in 2009.
12. Walkers are Welcome accreditation:
Christmas Lights: No action had been taken on funding for new lights, but they would definitely be needed for Christmas 2010, as incandescent bulbs will no longer be available on the market at that time. Enquiries at a recent funding fair had suggested that many funding bodies think Christmas lights are a business responsibility, and not suitable for charitable funding, although this may not rule out grants from Awards for All. A view was expressed that funding may be more available if it could be defined as an Art Project. With this in mind it was agreed that a small group with technical expertise should be convened to plan the changeover. Steve Messam and Mike Sayer were possible members of such a group, and it was also agreed to ask Barney Slack if he would like to be involved. Mike agreed to write to them and propose a working group.
Costumes: It was agreed that we should not pursue provision of costumes.
14. Forum Social Event:
15. Ideas for 2009
16. Any Other Business:
17. Date of Next Meeting: The date of the next meeting should be 12 January 2009 according to the second Monday in odd-months rule. However, the secretary will not be available during most of January, and the Chairman proposed that the meeting be deferred to 9 February 2009. This was agreed.
Next meeting – 9 February 2009
Provisional dates for the remaining meetings in 2009 are 9 March, 11 May, 13 July, 14 September and 9 November
|< Prev||Next >|