Kirkby Stephen Community and Council Centre
Founded and managed by Kirkby Stephen Town Council, Kirkby Stephen Community and Council Centre is a unique and innovative establishment which has become a ‘one stop shop’ for local information, community support and access to services. The Community and Council Centre provides information and services on behalf of all the local Councils (County, District and Town), as well as a wide range of general and local information, support and facilities. In 2011, the Centre relocated to the new Kirkby Stephen Local Links, where it shares premises with the Library.
Community and Council Centre staff
Zelda Bromfield – Customer Services Administrator
Community and Council Centre
Kirkby Stephen Local Links
Tel: 017683 71775
Fax: 017683 74854
Email: [email protected]
The Community and Council Centre is located in Kirkby Stephen Local Links on Vicarage Lane (off Stoneshot).
The current temporary opening hours are:
Monday 10.00 – 12.00 and 13.00 – 15.00
Wednesday 10.00 – 12.00 and 13.00 – 15.00
Friday Closed to the public
Kirkby Stephen Local Links is fully accessible and we have the use of a portable induction loop if required.
What do we do?
- provides access to information and services from the three tiers of local government – Town, District and County Councils
- For further information about Eden District Council and its services – www.eden.gov.uk
- For further information about Cumbria County Council and its services – www.cumbria.gov.uk
- has a range of information about services, benefits and entitlements for pensioners and can assist with obtaining advice from the Pension Service
- hosts regular drop in surgeries for the local MP the Rt Hon Neil Hudson
- displays current information on local employment and training opportunities and provides free access to the Jobcentre Plus website (assistance given if required)
- is working in partnership with Penrith Jobcentre Plus to provide advice and guidance including advice on job search and other employment related matters and assistance with CVs and job applications
- provides free telephone access to Community Legal Advice
- has an Information Point about Citizens Advice services, provides a free postal advice service, and offers free access to Advice Guide, the Citizens Advice Bureau’s online information system
- provides information and assistance with regard to a range of social security benefits
- supplies information about Choice Based Lettings and availability of local social housing and can direct the public to local sources of housing advice
- access to health-related information
- holds information about local adult education and training opportunities and current prospectuses of local adult education establishments
- has comprehensive local public transport information and timetables available
- maintains up-to-date information about the services of local voluntary agencies including Eden Carers, Age Concern, Alzheimer’s Society, Eden Community Alarms, Cumbria CVS and Action with Communities in Cumbria
- provides information about local opportunities for voluntary work
- provides information about sources of funding for individuals, organisations and charities
- collates and produces listings of Community Groups in Kirkby Stephen and the Upper Eden Valley
- can provide signposting to sources of help, information and advice about starting/running a business
- maintains this website, www.kirkby-stephen.com, which contains information on local services, community groups and activities, events, tourist attractions, history and accommodation
- provides support for other community projects and events such as the Charter Fair, Christmas events and Voluntary and Community Sector Week.
- produces and delivers a quarterly community newsletter, ‘Community News’
- provides computer and internet access to members of the public for a small charge (concessionary rates available)
The above list is not exhaustive as the Centre is prepared to assist any member of the public with any enquiry insofar as its means allow.
Kirkby Stephen Local Links has rooms and facilities available for hire by Community Groups.
It is currently used as a venue for meetings, seminars, displays and courses by a wide range of Community Groups including Eden Time Bank, Eden Carers, United Charities, East Cumbria Family Support Association, Cumbria Mental Health Group and Cumbria CVS.
Kirkby Stephen Town Council also holds its regular monthly Meetings at Kirkby Stephen Local Links and other Town Council groups also use the venue for occasional meetings.